Search Engine Optimization Resources
Search engine optimization is a growing field. The services are provided by large marketing firms and independent consultants such as myself, and there is a great variety of options and differences of opinion among those of us who work to help web sites perform better. Below are a number of the resources I use on a regular basis to continue my education, help others, and debate with my colleagues. If you know of a useful SEO resource that I've missed here, feel free to contact me and let me know.
- High Rankings Forum (I serve as a moderator there, under the name "qwerty.")
- Google Webmaster Central
- Cre8asite Forums
The following are web design firms I have worked with and feel confident in recommending, whether you are a client of Raise My Rank Services or not.
- CBrody.com - London-based consultancy specializing in web design, computer support, networking and project management.
- TimeForCake Creative Media - Based in Frisco, Colorado, TFC creates sites, logos, web applications, posters and interactive CD-ROMs.
These are copywriters who are experienced in both writing for the web and working with an SEO:
- Boston Computing Network - BCN hosts both of my sites and a number of my clients' sites. I strongly recommend them to anyone seeking advice on hosting. They offer a variety of hosting options and competitive prices. More importantly, I've never had any reason to complain about their service. Their servers are highly reliable, and their support personnel actually know what they're doing.
- Karon Thackston's web copywriting e-books
- SEO Browser – Allows you to see what your site looks like to people using a text-only browser. This is also helpful in giving you an idea of what search engine spiders see.
- Xenu's Link Sleuth – Crawls sites and reports on broken links. Also useful for generating XML sitemaps.
- WebBug – Request a document from a server and see the exact response — great for checking the functionality of redirects.
- Web-Sniffer – Browser-based tool, similar to WebBug.
- Web Developer Toolbar – An add-on to the Firefox browser that gives the user a great deal of information about a web page. Also available for Google's Chrome browser.